Thanks to our friends at Ello Wholesale, we've got some sunny summer tips and sunburn facts for you:
Have you ever wondered, "can my dog get sunburned?" If you have, or if you have never even given it a thought, the answer is, "Yes. Your dog can get a sunburn." As with people, dogs can get skin cancer from too much sun exposure.
What are the symptoms of a doggie sunburn?
- Red skin
- They are sensitive to the touch
- Their ears may curl back and be red
- Your dog doesn't want you to pet him
- She is scratching and whimpering (scratching the burned skin will hurt)
What dogs are more prone to sunburn?
- White, short haired dogs
- Pit bulls
- Golden and labrador retrievers
- Chinese crested
How can you protect your dog from a potential sunburn?
- Keep your pet in the shade
- Limit the time he spends in the sun
- Take walks at the beginning or end of the day when the sun isn't high in the sky
- Use sun protection for your dog (don't forget his or her paws)